Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Process of Putting Meals on the Table

We use a Franklin now that my husband brought one back on his last trip to town. The pipe of cast iron runs through the roof and carries off the smoke which is a much better solution than an open hearth.

Firewood on the prairie is hard to find, so I usually use hay, dried corncobs, and sunflower stalks. My husband has shown me how to use cow chips for fuel. It is difficult to use because they burn so fast and it takes so many of them to cook one meal.

At first I picked up the cow chips with 2 sticks (who wants to handle cow manure I asked), then I used a rag and a corner of my apron. But now, I just wash my hands after handling them, but some of our neighbors just wipe their hands on their aprons and then handle the food, but I can't seem to be that careless about manure!

Next time, my recipe for making simple biscuits...

No comments:

Post a Comment

As of May 2011, any "anonymous" comment will not be published. Comments made to this blog are moderated.